Monday, February 20, 2012

Adventures in Home Brewing!

I picked up a cute littel book in Urban Outfitters about small-batch beer brewing which, conveniently enough, used the same equipment that I had for mead. Shaun and I had picked up malt in Idaho over Christmas for a couple of the recipes but had left the yeast forgotten in a fridge, unfortunately. Well this week, I took my brother to the Eagle Rock Brewing Supplies Store and picked up some more, then enlisted him and Shaun to help me get a batch started. It took longer than I had assumed it would to start - about 4 1/2 hrs to get it through the first 4 steps: Mash, Sparge, Boil, and into the carboy for fermentation.



This recipe is called 'Rosemary Scotch' because of the added herbs and the use of a peat-smoked malt which gives a hint of scotch. Such a gorgeous amber color - I can't wait to try it in 4 weeks!

No comments: