Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fisch Farsure

The Caid A&S Pentathalon is coming up, so I'm getting a little practice in. This recipe turned out quite nicely. I was thinking of doing a whole bird (and re-pluming it), but I may do a table of 'gilded' foods instead.
The notes in my cookbook suggest that guilded meat (meat pies) were very common, so I would take that to the next level and try to make a 'table of all good things to eat.'
In that case, I would do fish, fowle, and meat: a stuffed game hen, fish fillets (or perhaps a whole trout, but I don't like picking through bones), and then a ham (ground pork loaf) as a suckling pig. There would also be guilded fruit (apples and pears).

Here's my first try at guilded fish.


I used a Tilapia fillet sprinkled with sage, parsley, garlic and salt. Then I made the 'Rich Pastry Dough - Pate Brisee' suggested in the Medieval Kitchen cookbook. I rolled it to 1/4 inch and sealed it with water, brushed with 1 egg yolk + about 1/4 cup hot water with steeped saffron. This was baked at 350F for 40 minutes. The fish was perfect and flakey, though a bit bland for my taste. Next time I may take whole fresh sage leaves and parsley and pulverized garlic (as was suggested for guilded chicken recipe).



No comments: